Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
When you need hot water, it can be a pain to wait around for the boiler to deliver. A traditional gas boiler works by heating up the water slowly over gas flames until there is a tank of hot water ready to use.
A water heater is a more direct route to getting access to hot water whenever you need it. They act more quickly and constantly replenish the lost water so that, the tank is always full and readily available.
Though some models are slower-paced than others, there are a variety of different options currently on the market. It all depends on what you want for your home.
Water heaters come in different shapes, sizes and forms. There are three main types; electric, gas, and indirect water heaters. Water heaters are a good way to separate heating your home and heating your water. They can be controlled via thermostats and, have handy safety features to ensure your home is never in danger.
Bradford White water heaters are a specialist provider, smaller business providing a personalized service and installation. Below, we will explore some of their product options and how they stand up in the water heater industry.
The Bradford White Water Heater Reviews
Atmospheric Vent Gas is a classic gas model of a water heater. It works smoothly by firing up the gas when switched on. The water is then heated and can be used as required. With the thermostat, you can choose the required temperature.
It offers peace of mind with inbuilt safety features such as a pressure release valve for if the water becomes too hot.
- Safety features: The most important bit of a gas-based water heater is the safety element. This tank is safety assured with a chimney to expel the toxic waste.
- Hydrojet: This is a faster way to get water moving through the tank. The Hydrojet technology creates turbulence in the tank instead of the traditional method. This makes the tank more efficient and heating water less time-consuming.
- Magnesium anode rod: Out of the two options (magnesium and aluminum), magnesium seems like the poorer choice. It doesn’t have the longevity of aluminum and is prone to faster corrosion.
A popular model, the AeroTherm Series Heat Pump, allows a greater level of control for the homeowner.
They can choose from four different settings how they want to heat their water. It is compact and conveniently sized and, can be installed anywhere you like. All you need is a power source.
- Four settings: Heat pump, hybrid, vacation, and electric. Being able to select different settings makes this water heater more convenient and economical overall.
- Can go anywhere: This is a useful feature as it means you can install your tank in any convenient place provided there is an electrical supply. So, you are not limited and can integrate the water heater into your home more easily.
- Needs a constant supply of electricity: This means that the water heater needs to be constantly plugged in and switched on in order to maintain functionality. This can ultimately cost more than other models.
PowerStor single wall indirect residential heater is a reliable example of a good indirect water heater. It has a large tank capacity despite not taking up much space. It heats the water efficiently and has features to ensure it remains in top shape and rust-free for longer such as aluminum anode rods.
- Endless hot water: Hot water whenever you need it, and no waiting around. This is a big bonus.
- Saves Money: Indirect water heaters can save you money on your water and energy bills over the year. They are more economical and environmentally friendly as they do not require a thermostat nor a constant supply of heating.
- Limited: The Indirect water heater works better when it is in service of a single appliance. It has to work harder and therefore becomes slower when stretched out to multiple appliances.
Gas Water Heaters
Gas water heaters work by using gas to heat up water at the bottom of the tank. This gas is then pushed up through the tank via a chimney, in order to heat the rest of the water.
Like most variations of water heaters, the gas water heaters have a dip tube. Dip tubes are a long tube that pushes the cold water to the bottom of the water heater tank to be heated and circulated.
As the water is heated, the toxic gas is fired up the chimney in turn, heating up the chimney as it goes.
The heated chimney can then act as a heat conductor and heat up the remaining water in the water tank. This is then released when you switch on a hot water appliance.
The thermostat on the side of the heater is there to control the temperature. There are also several safety features in case of overheating. These include a pressure release valve which automatically comes into play if the tank registers a temperature that is too high.
Electric Water Heaters
Electric water heaters heat the water in much the same way as a traditional gas water heater. However, in place of gas, there is an electrical heating mechanism inside the tank that heats the water.
There is no need for a chimney, as there is no toxic gas to expel. However, there is a need for a power supply. So, you will have to think more carefully as to where you can place the electric heater in your home.
They work fast to heat the water in the tank internally and can work across a multitude of appliances in the home including showers, and hot taps.
Indirect Water Heaters
Indirect water heaters work with your boiler to heat the water. There is a tank of water but, instead of using a gas source or electrical supply, the water is heated through the already established boiler.
They have to be installed next to your boiler as your boiler is the water tank’s source of energy.
So unlike direct water tank heaters, they do not have their own source of energy. This can be a cost-effective way to get hot water for your home however, they are sometimes slower and as the name suggests, less direct.
However, they can be more efficient. They do not waste any fuel or power as they draw directly from the already established source. This makes them one of the most efficient ways to heat water.
Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless water heaters are the most convenient way to get hot water whenever you need it. They work by heating up the water when you turn on the tap and sending it directly to your chosen appliance. This eliminates the need for a tank sitting in your house constantly heating up water.
They are the more environmentally friendly option. They do cost more upfront however, can save you money on energy and water bills in the long run.
The main benefit of installing a tankless water heater is that you will never, ever run out of hot water.
Frequently Asked Questions
Though there are a very limited number of Bradford White water heaters available on Amazon.com, the main source for purchasing one is direct from the manufacturer.
This is because Bradford White prefers to offer a personalized installation service for your selected product.
This is for quality assurance and because water heaters are not the easiest thing to install. They also provide services and maintenance for their installed products. Often this comes in the form of a lifetime warranty.
Servicing is essential to make sure that they keep working properly and last as long as possible.
It is worth noting that, you are able to find a wide range of Bradford White water heater parts for spares and repairs online. There is no need to go direct to the manufacturer.
Realistically, a water heater should last upwards of ten years. It is dependent on a number of factors.
The main consideration is, what type of energy does your water heater run off? Other factors include; how often do you use your water heater, and have you serviced and maintained the water heater?
be the best option. This is because they are not constantly heating a tank full of water and, instead are used on a supply and demand basis.
Solar-powered water heaters are the best option when it comes to looking after the environment. Any appliance that can run from renewable energy is more sustainable for the well-being of the world.